Molecular biology (classes) (ćwiczenia) - 2019/2020
dr hab. Maciej Masłyk
Faculty of Science and Health - Instytut Nauk Biologicznych
Number of hours (week/semester):
Language of instruction:
1. Theoretical acquaint students with selected techniques of modern molecular biology
2. Practical implementation of selected techniques of molecular biology.
3. Development of skills in experiment desgning, observation, asking questions and discussing the results.
4. The acquisition of skills in specific vocabulary of molecular biology
Passed courses: biochemistry, microbiology general, chemistry;
Knowledge: knowledge of biochemistry and chemistry
Skills: knowledge of basic laboratory techniques,
Social skills: willingness to broaden skills and work in a group.
1. The student can name and describe the basic techniques of molecular biology. K_W01, K_W06
2. The student has knowledge of the historical development of molecular biology and its place in the system of natural sciences K_W01, K_W07
3. The student knows and is able to present the stages of the processes of transcription and translation K_W01, K_W06, K_W07
4. Propose the use of a suitable technique to achieve a particular result. K_W01, K_W06, K_W07, K_W09
5. Compare the different techniques that can be used to achieve one goal. K_W01, K_W06, K_W07, K_W09
1. The student can independently carry out basic experiments in molecular biology K_U01, K_U05, K_U07
2. Student can describe a series of experiments carried out in a typical scientific way and interpret the results of experiments. K_U01, K_U05, K_U07
3. The student is able to carry out gene expression in bacterial cells with the calculation of its performance K_U01, K_U05, K_U07
4. The student knows how to plan and execute an efficient purification of the expressed gene product. K_U01, K_U05, K_U07
5. Student can check the activity of selected enzymes using radiometric techniques. K_U01, K_U05, K_U07
1. Openness to modern technologies used in biotechnology K_K01, K_K02, K_K03
2. Awareness of the possibility of the practical use of the techniques in biotechnology or medicine K_K01, K_K02, K_K03
3. Ability making their arguments in relation to molecular techniques. K_K01, K_K02, K_K03
Laboratory classes, multimedia presentation, discussion, problematic methods
Course content description
Practical application of reporter genes. The properties, characteristics, and visualization of selected genes. Cloning of the gene encoding the protein kinase. Overexpression of a kinase in a selected expression systems. Cell lysis and the purification of the gene product by liquid chromatography. Calculation of the efficiency of expression and purification. Checking the activity of a protein kinase using radiometric method. Determination of kinetic constants. Regulation of the enzyme activity by using selective inhibitors.
Forms of assessment
The student does not have a basic knowledge on molecular biology, the place of the discipline among other empirical disciplines, and its historical development. He/she is not familiar with the current literature and techniques used in molecular biology.
The student is not able to analyze and understand the core content of classes. Can not create his own work tools or use them.
Students are not involved in their own process of learning, does not fulfil the goals and objectives, is not involved in the discussions.
The student has a general knowledge about molecular biology, the place of the discipline among other empirical disciplines and its historical development. Has limited knowledge of the latest research results in the field of molecular biology and techniques used in the field.
Student minimally understands content of the classes. With the help of the supervisor analyzes the scientific text and formulates solutions to the problems.
Student is attending the classes, but his attitude is passive, devoiding of creativity
and commitment. To a small extent is involved in discussions and the use of available
Student has ordered knowledge on molecular biology, the place of the discipline among other empirical disciplines and its historical development. He has insights into the latest results of the research and current literature on the subject, knows the basic techniques used in molecular biology.
The student is able to present gained knowledge, and can correctly use it in the
classroom. With the supervisor help solves the problems.
The student actively participates in the laboratory activities, demonstrates openness to the need to deepen knowledge and skills, is involved in discussions.
The student has a systematic and established knowledge on molecular biology,
the place of the discipline among other empirical disciplines and its historical development. Familiar with the latest research and current literature. He can take advantage with the gained knowledge in the classroom. Is able to solve problems
The student has mastered the tools of analysis and synthesis of knowledge (with reference to the current literature on the subject) and can use them in problematic situations.
The student actively participates in the classes, presents initiative and deepens
the knowledge and skills using the available literature.
Required reading list
1. Węgleński, P. Molecular genetics, PWN 2007
2. Brown, T.A. Genomes, PWN 2009
3. Allison, L.A. Podstawy biologii molekularnej, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego 2009
4. Berg, J.M., Tymoczko, J.L., Stryer, L.: Biochemistry, PWN, 2009
1. Alberts B., Johnson A., Levis J., Raff M., Roberts K., Walter P., Molecular Biology of the Cell, New York: Garland Science 2008
2. Turner P.C., McLennan A.G., Bates A.D., White M.R.H., Biologia Molekularna – krótkie wykłady, PWN, 2011
3. Lodish H., Berk A., Kaiser C.A., Krieger M., Scott M.P., Bretscher A., Ploegh H., Matsudaira P., Molecular Cell Biology, W.H. Freeman Publishers, 2012
Field of study: Biotechnology
Course listing in the Schedule of Courses:
Year II - Semester 4
Number of ECTS credits: 0
Form of assessment: Grade